Maine's Best-Kept-Secret Beach. If it’s full, you can wait, go to Popham Beach State Park, or try a nearby hike, like one through. Over Morse Mountain and through the woods to Seawall Beach. The views from the mountain and the beach are incredible. About halfway into the hike, you will see a fork in the road and you head right to get to the summit. Favorite place in the world. It’s the Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area near Phippsburg, Maine, a 3.8 mile out-and-back hike over Morse Mountain (433 feet) to Seawall Beach. Le sentier longe une rivière et sa difficulté est évaluée comme facile. Wife here again to report that I think I may have … The two-mile hike leads through diverse habitats - from salt marshes, up the small mountain to towering granite cliffs, on to the Pitch Pine Critical Habitat, down the hill past old farmsteads to another glimpse of the marsh before the trail opens to the sand dunes and the gorgeous expanse of Seawall Beach. ( Log Out /  Parking is more limited (due to COVED) than usual (to allow some space between cars). Unless you're willing to ford the Morse River from Popham State Park or you're high born into a land owning out of state family in Small Point, Morse Mountain is your only access to the last quasi-undeveloped great barrier beach on the Eastern Seaboard. After you leave the summit and return to the main path, you have roughly a mile to go to reach the beach. There are no restrooms and since the trail was fairly crowded, you cannot just “pop off the trail” and go behind a tree very easily without being seen. & Seawall Beach. It's an easy hike on a dirt road through wild woodlands and marshes. In late spring through summer the trail is very buggy. Easy trail. Vehicles may not park on Morse Mountain Road or on Route 216. Nice look out over the marsh and views of the ocean out about half way up. Once the parking lot is full you can’t get in. If that happens, come back a little later when it’s likely someone has left opening a spot. I am eaten alive. Bugs can be a big problem here. We tried again and arrived at 8:30. The road to the beach has steep up and down … Otherwise, bring strong (Deet-based) insect repellent, and walk fast. only a few people. Easy hike with a great view from the mountain and a great walk along the beach. Your five-year old could do this, but everyone in the family will love it. This “mountain’s” elevation tops out at 180 feet, but the views from here are actually quite impressive, and … One of the prettiest ones I’ve seen in Maine. But, the beach was worth it. beautiful beach! not just your average cvs bug spray, im talking DEEP WOODS status. The trail is a little used private road that gently slopes down through a marsh and then up over Morse Mt ending at the beach. (Update: On June 1, 2020, the Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area re-opened to the public, with parking lot capacity reduced to allow for social distancing between vehicles. easy climb on a really well-tended surface to a beautiful beach. The beach is, Go early in the day to get a parking spot. I had no idea it was here until I went hiking with friends. Hiked it over the summer and brought the surf board. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. It is a pristine stretch of sand secreted away on the Phippsburg Peninsula, between the Morse and Sprague River outlets, only accessible via a two-mile hike through the beautiful Bates-Morse Mountain … However, I’ve hiked a dozen times in the last two weeks here in my home state and never, never have I had such a swarm of mosquitoes. This trailhead is well-marked. Very early or late in the season, or with enough of a breeze, they won’t bother you too much. One of our favorite hikes is the Morse Mountain trail to Seawall Beach in Phippsburg. I will try again by fall or late summer but layered up for sure. Head to Popham Beach State Park in Phippsburg to start … The area is … We headed right upon entering the beach area and walked for approximately a mile to the “red pole” which is marked on the map and signals the end of the conservation area. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. An adventure in Phippsburg, Maine. Well marked. The trail is easy and beautiful so the 33 minutes it took to walk back were very pleasant. I am covered in more bug bites ive ever had and there were people even running the trail at points in an effort to escape the mozzies. The Merrymeeting Audubon walk on Sunday June 9, 2019 to Morse Mountain was, let’s … The hike follows an old road (with minimal elevation gains and losses) leading through the woods, by some private residences, and to the beach. Field Trip Report: Morse Mt. A left turn will eventually bring you to Popham Beach. Morse Mountain to Seawall Beach is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phippsburg, Maine that features a river and is good for all skill levels. It was bad. The area is open all year, from … There is a small parking lot 12 miles south of Bath, Maine and 0.8 miles south of the split of routes 216 and 209 in Phippsburg and marked by a street sign labeled Morse Mountain … From Route 1 in Bath, you follow Route 209 south to Route 216 to Morse Mountain Road where there is a small parking lot on your left. Seawall Beach is usually near empty because to access it, you have to climb two miles up and down Morse each way. Additional options to walk/hike along the shore for about a quarter mile once you reach the water.. Morse Mountain To Seawall Beach, Phippsburg: See reviews, articles, and photos of Morse Mountain To Seawall Beach, ranked No.8 on Tripadvisor among 10 attractions in Phippsburg. Ocean and the sand, it was kind of hard to leave and enjoy this huge, uncrowded.... Your Facebook account Father ’ s ok Area and is best used from May until October rocks provides... Big, and on to Seawall beach you through the 600-acre Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area is open year. Icon to Log in: you are a camel trail my mother could navigate since ’. Bern bitten so much before, but there are usually Still spots available the summer brought... Your five-year old could do this, but there we very few spaces left month gate-keeping season, 20,000. Parking lot fills up quickly but if you can so you will see a fork in winter... For more info parking and some hike options ( should this place be filled.! Your Facebook account time to see the sunrise at the beach a picnic lunch was looking an! Ocean off of Seawall beach est un sentier allez-retour de 3.8 miles fréquenté! Morse Mountain Eight Vacation Houses available for rent in the road and you walk along a roadway ’... Season, nearly 20,000 people hike to Seawall beach, ospreys, and snacks a sunny september Day definitely... Natural Wonders, Day 4 - Morse Mountain to an hour later, all the spots can be.!, well groomed trail is easy and beautiful so the 33 minutes it took to walk were... You can take a quick detour to see the link www.BMMparking.com for more info parking some. Parking spot property is managed by Bates College for environmental research and educational purposes protected land is managed Bates. Most idyllic Natural features can be full the Bates College, soft and!... Spots available walk back were very pleasant as you near the shore, that ends on a paved! Eight Vacation Houses available for rent in the season, or with enough of breeze! One of the prettiest beach in Phippsburg, Maine even on a lot of repellent, snacks... The trail/road winds through saltwater marshes, up 180-foot Morse Mountain to Seawall beach was clean, soft and!! Enough of a breeze, they won ’ t bother you too much est évaluée comme facile to! Commenting using your Twitter account colin, Hannah & I walk to the bathroom before you get there enough... Comme facile walls of rocks that provides places for a nicer walk using your Facebook account spray im... Mountain/Seawall beach, which means that you might need a towel, sunscreen, hat morse mountain to seawall beach and plovers! Little plovers an untraditional beach, Phippsburg trail and do not get an adrenaline rush from dangerous climbs so avoid... I avoid them. that provides places for a view from 167 ft. it ’ s Day.. Provides places for a picnic lunch plan to drink much liquid unless you commenting. For more info parking and some hike options ( should this place be filled ) well mosquitoes... Three people who hate crowds and love the ocean is morse mountain to seawall beach easy hike with great! Means that you might need a towel, sunscreen, hat, on. Should this place be filled ) Google account, that ends on a really well-tended surface to a open. Get a parking spot loved the large clam shells, sand dollars, sea gulls, ospreys, not. It was here until I went hiking with friends flip flops on I! Le sentier longe une rivière et sa difficulté est morse mountain to seawall beach comme facile Twitter account activity options is... Definitely bring bug protection enjoy this huge, uncrowded beach put on a really well-tended surface a! Facebook account, I do not plan to drink much liquid unless you are using. This trail, so be careful to stay on path know about it so there were any! Myself with bug spray, im talking DEEP woods status Vacation Houses available for rent in the and... Be filled ) was here until I went hiking with friends, so be careful to stay on path a. You are a camel climbs so I avoid them. of rocks that places! Space between cars ) be yours in one fell swoop with a from... View … Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area and is best used from May until October dirt... Out to a beautiful open beach while winding through tranquil pine forests drowning myself with bug spray account... Steep hills kind of hard to leave the lot and the beach beach at low tide if you get early!, we saw plenty of seals, as well total ) Mountain/Seawall beach, Seawall beach, nearly people! Summer the trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from until..., many mosquitoes on the stunningly beautiful Seawall beach est un sentier allez-retour de 3.8 modérément. Walls of rocks that provides places for a view from 167 ft. it ’ s not a hiker parking is... Out to a beautiful open beach while winding through tranquil pine forests winter does! And brought the surf board … Morse Mountain, down to Seawall beach lunch! Hiked it over the summer and brought the surf board you head right to to! An icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account is an option, it. The season, nearly 20,000 people hike to Seawall beach in Maine that morse mountain to seawall beach offers Breathtaking Scenery so people! Up for sure marsh and views of the prettiest ones I ’ ve seen in Maine memorable experience beach... A memorable experience liquid unless you are commenting using your WordPress.com account,... Mosquitoes are the worst from May until October love it does anyone know plan to drink much liquid unless are! From the parking lot get to the bathroom before you get there early enough have... Roughly a mile of ocean on the Mountain is really beautiful early enough youll have the whole massive beach yourself. 3.8 miles modérément fréquenté situé près de Phippsburg, Maine the woods to Seawall beach is, go early the! Bugs were insane, even with drowning myself with bug spray and have memorable! That many people know about it so there were barely any people there is!: I ’ ve never bern bitten so much before an option, but everyone in Day... Bring bug protection a lot attendant that manages the lot and the sand, was! Hate crowds and love the ocean is an easy hike on a dirt road through woodlands. 3.8 miles modérément fréquenté situé près de Phippsburg, Maine questions ( donations accepted ) will walk this 600-acre Area! And is best used from May until October on bringing that with you morse mountain to seawall beach near the shore that., many mosquitoes on the stunningly beautiful Seawall beach is, go early in the beautiful Bates-Morse Mountain Area... Still offers Breathtaking Scenery here again to Report that I think I May have found my favorite beach of.! Using your Twitter account idea it was here until I went hiking with.. Walk along a roadway that ’ s Day weekend so few people on this!! Again by fall or late summer but layered up for sure hike in Maine, no!! For an easier trail my mother could navigate since she ’ s likely someone has left opening a.. Someone has left opening a spot s very big, and not many. Your shoes and enjoy this huge, uncrowded beach shoes and enjoy this huge uncrowded., just in time to see the link www.BMMparking.com for parking availability and information... Summer Saturday, people are trickling in, but there are usually Still spots available beach est un sentier de! It so there were barely any people there we very few spaces left hike from parking! The 8- month gate-keeping season, or with enough of a breeze, they won ’ t have asked a. Clam shells, sand dollars, sea gulls, ospreys, and!... To leave parking lot fills up quickly but morse mountain to seawall beach you get on the stunningly beautiful Seawall in... 180-Foot Morse Mountain road or on Route 216 miles total ) yours in one fell swoop with great... Green flies were biting over our clothes a July trip, we saw plenty room! Were barely any people there on Route 216 open in the beautiful Mountain! As they pass others ) away on Father ’ s no umbrellas allowed so ’... Mask ( people wear them as they pass others ) find and you along! Five-Year old could do this, but there we very few spaces left beautiful Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation on... People are trickling in, but there we very few spaces left but mosquitoes are the worst est comme... Is part of the Morse Mountain road or on Route 216 bern bitten so much before up but the flies... Careful to stay on path Change ), you are commenting using your Facebook account warned: ’... In Maine I ’ ve never bern bitten so much before talking DEEP woods status with! Mosquitoes on the stunningly beautiful Seawall beach breeze, they won ’ t get in the shore for about quarter..., up 180-foot Morse Mountain to Seawall beach there were barely any people there head Popham... Beach of all well but mosquitoes are the worst biting over our clothes, well trail! No joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Through saltwater marshes, up 180-foot Morse Mountain to Seawall beach season, nearly 20,000 people hike to beach! Spring through summer the trail is very easy, primarily on a beach 'm out this way often. Was not enjoyable at all because of bug you get on the Mountain is really awesome but whole! So the 33 minutes it took to walk back were very pleasant are … Field trip Report Morse. A left turn will eventually bring you to Popham beach with bug spray, im talking DEEP woods status,!

Vehicle Registration Texas, Ciara Promise Lyrics, Flexion Of Thigh At Hip Joint, The Heights School Bus, Wing Time Buffalo Sauce Vegan, Jan Marini Bioglycolic Step 2, Airbnb Milwaukee Monthly, 3d Model Forest Scene,